Thursday 9 September 2010

smattering of real life and clarification.

Last day or two has been most surprising, the amount of negative comments left on the blog from bitter carebears and alike, all anonymous of course, has been very surprising.
It seems bitter care bears are delighting in the fact im having to rat for my sec status, a dull task but, meh, if I have to I guess.
Also some seem to be criticising me for leaving flashy red to move back to a care bear corp. now my initial reaction was to say some thing along the lines of , who are you to judge me? , but after some thought, I have chosen to share my life in eve through the blog so maybe I do owe my readers some more explanation.

Let me start by explaining I am married , 30 and have a lovely wife.
My wife tolerates my gaming the way I tolerate her shopping, she has always been less than amused when I log in to eve pop the headphones in to log on to vent and ignore her for hours on end (and belive me pvp ops on a roam are hard to leave mid way though). This was always explained to corps when I joined that I may be less vocal than others.
These arguments culminated a few nights ago just after moving to flashy red with a some bad news and some good news, either calm down eve playing and leave the headphones alone, or she is leaving. This was followed with the news she may be pregnant. Hense my “I will have less time” comment.

After some talking I decided to leave the PVP time intensive side of eve, and go back to care bearing which allows me to drop what I’m doing at any point to help her I have also said I wont spend EVERY night playing, tho I am on a lot at the moment killing rats. I rejoined Btek as I get on well with the CEO reltso and wanted to build the corp back up with players that want a causal eve life that focus’s on fun and team work.

I hope this has clarified my point of view for people, if you still feel obliged to troll, feel free, I only delete extreme comments or links to gold sellers ect.
Should you be one of the few gamers out there that like me has limited playtime and wants a casual corp or a new player looking to be taught, please come give btek a try, we will be getting on our feet over the next month I have just set some forums up ect, and after I have a chat with relt will be helping with getting more ops in place.

15 comments:

  1. real Life can be a bear. Lord knows my Kill Board is SUPER lame due to living in the real world.

    Perople hate mate, but a lot of the time it';s just a desperate cry to be heard.

    Good luck with it all.

    Cheers

    EVE SOB

    ReplyDelete
  2. First: Congrats on the baby!

    I too am 30, and have a wonderful wife. Though she plays WoW and the kids (aged 9,10,11) play WoW too. I'm the only one who plays EVE. One of the first things I told my corp (Suddenly Ninjas) was that I could randomly drop off. A) to help the family, or B) because I'm a volunteer firefighter and when the tones go off, I disappear. "Too bad" basically.

    Sure, I figure out ways. AFK transport of stolen loot/salvage and now PI materials... things like that.

    We all figure out ways. :) Good luck, and if you need anything, let me know. I'm a big fan of this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First and most importantly, congrats on the probable baby!

    I am also 30 and married, with my wife setting similar boundaries on my activities, so I know where you come from. Good luck in all you do and enjoy life, hope to see you continue posting!

    Logan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm 46, married, and have similar limitations. My EVE playing is tolerated, most of the time.

    I still manage to fit in a bit of PVP, as well as ratting in our 0.0 home. The corp I'm has an older player base and everyone understands that RL comes first.

    Congrats on the possible baby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely understand, and am in a similar situation (no possible baby), but explaining that you're trying to shoot 15 supercaps and that this is an important Alliance op doesn't seem to make the wife agro disappear.

    Good luck whatever happens - if my Corp doesn't get more organised, and if the wife agro escallates, I may be sending in an application to Btek!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am 38 with a small son. Usually my wife tolerates my EvE. She does think its a pointless waste of time; but I think her spending hours on Facebook and Youtube is a waste of time :) Occasionally she has a blow up but we now sit next to each other and it seems to be working for us.

    Congrats on the kid (if she is indeed pregnant) get ready for a crazy ride

    ReplyDelete
  7. Real life comes first, always and every time. I'm 37, have four young boys and still happily married after 13 years and found that my gaming has to be balanced with family time. Find the balance and ignore the naysayers. I applaud your decision.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have an amazing girlfriend who loves me. As such, she wants me to be happy, and would never dream of restricting anything that I want to do, and would certainly never attempt to give me ultimatums regarding what I do in my free time, including playing EVE.

    I'm glad you're happy in your relationship, but someone who attempts to emotionally blackmail you to get you to do what she wants you to do... That I'm not so sure about.

    Regardless, you do what you need to do dude, and best of luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Astral, Brannor McThife here. 36, married and have a 2-year-old. Know where you are...it's why I love reading the pvp blogs...just don't have the time to pvp, forget the timezone.

    Gimme a shout in game if you need anything for hisec... Like a ship or some arb mods, etc.

    -G

    ReplyDelete
  10. so many tools believing his little story, amusing

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry to hear you're getting trouble and strife from the er...trouble and strife. I hope a little levity isn't inappropriate, but I had a similar problem last year, here was my solution:

    http://freebooted.blogspot.com/2009/12/eve-other-woman.html

    One word of advice though, when you start talking about baby names, I'd suggest steering clear of Eve.

    ReplyDelete
  12. >>so many tools believing his little story, amusing

    Can I comment on this?

    Guess this guy has never known the touch of a lady. Which is the reason he knows nothing of the power women can hold over men.

    Don't worry. Move out of your mothers basement and lose the neck beard and maybe if you are lucky some woman will take pity on you.

    I wouldnt hold your breath though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Same here... wife and kids. My wife does has a DS though and plays that. I figure gaming is a cheap hobby compared to fixing cars, playing in a bands, fishing/boating, etc. Also I play on a laptop and at least am in the room.

    She does pick on me when the heaphones and mic go on (asking me if I want fries with that).

    ReplyDelete
  14. First: Congrats on the probable baby, hope all goes well.

    Second: Like Jarek, I'm not sure about someone essentially trying to emotionally blackmail you into doing her bidding. But, of course, it's your choice. Might be worth trying to negotiate a night of EVE, headphones and all.. in exchange for an EVEless night, or looking after the baby (when it arrives).. a bit like Kirith Kodachi. Just an idea.

    Third: I still can't sympthise with your complaints about the sec status repair grind (not that I expect you to care what I think). I do wish you luck with it though.

    Fourth: Anonymous said...
    so many tools believing his little story, amusing <----What a prick.

    Regards,

    HM

    ReplyDelete
  15. I married a gamer. Problem solved. =)

    ReplyDelete