Thursday 17 June 2010

Blog banter 18 - carebear to pirate.

For his latest "Blog Banter" Ck asks:

On May 6th 2010, EVE Online celebrated its 7th Anniversary. Quite a milestone in MMO history, especially considering that it is one of the few virtual worlds out there to see its population continually grow year after year. For some of you who’ve been here since the very beginning, EVE has evolved quite a lot since its creation. With the expansion rolling out roughly twice a year, New Eden gets renewed and improved regularly. But, how about you the player? How has you gaming style evolved through the years or months since you’ve started playing? Have you always been a carebear, or roleplayer? Have you only focused on PvP or have you given other aspects of the game a chance – say manufacturing. Let’s hear your story!

My beginnings were humble and the same as most Eve players I would imagine, I found the game when I was looking for a new MMO, I didn’t fancy WoW as it seemed to cute and fluffy, I wanted something that was more me, and I was and still am a bit of a sci-fi geek. I found eve and after a few false starts with trial periods started "astral dominix".

My initial intention was to be a jack of all trades, however after doing some research ( when something interests me I read about it compulsively witch is what lead me to blogging) I discovered that to reach any level of accomplishment I would need to be a little more specific on what I wanted to do, so I decided to go for a combat pilot, at the time I wanted to hone my skills mission running and get some really cool ships and then go down to 0.0 when I was "ready" and be some sort of hero...it was a nice idea.

The mission running side of carebearing was fun for a few months and I made some great friends in those corps that taught me a lot about eve, I was however always poor (And still am so gimmie some money or I’ll come blow your ship m'kay) I never could keep a wallet, always converting it into ships and either roaming out into lowsec and looking for fights I couldn’t win or making silly mistakes and getting popped. After Several months of that I was invited by my first CEO to join his new corp out in 0.0, I had a fair few ships at this point and could fly most amarr sub capitals, I thought I should be able to hack it and make a boatload popping rat's, so off I went to 0.0, and I learnt a LOT out there although the corp didn’t stay there very long I was there for a couple of months.

As time progressed out there we realised the alliance witch was renting in atlas was going nowhere fast and we left to join a alliance with a bit more bite, after a few days looking we merged corp.’s with a corp in U'K alliance, they really had there shit together! However the corp we had merged with didn’t suit me for a host of different reasons, and after a week or two I found myself homeless again. Me and a couple of friends left and headed back to lowsec with the intention of running missions and getting our pew pew from lowsec roams.

I liked the lowsec roams A LOT they suited my play style , fast and aggressive, also you could do a lowsec roam in an hour or so and fit it around a much more relaxed play time which is handy when you have a full time job and a wife ect to spend time with also. But for a week or to I wasn’t sure if pirate was me. I love rum ..I love skirmish PVP, but I had always intended to be the "hero", but that seemed like a lot of work, so after my recent trip to Florida I contacted Mail Lite, a buddy of mine that’s a director in the Black Rabbit Academy, which is like Eve uni, but only focuses on being a dirty rum soaked pirate, I have now been a member for a couple of weeks and couldn’t be happier with where I am at, Astral is getting out on lowsec roams regular and getting kills, the people I am flying with are awesome, I trust the FC's I fly under and generally have a blast! I fully intend to stay with the Rabbits now and maybe in the future go on to be an instructor or FC, but for now im just happy to be learning and flying the way I like with people I enjoy being around.
I have even started a industrial Alt to assist in funding my pirating, Vespa, I never thought I’d pop rocks but im finding while I do house work or watch TV I can mine semi AFK and make a few mill, Im just training for a mining barge and should be able to fly one in a week or so..

All in all I have gone from a mission running carebear to a 0.0 wannabe to a dirty pirate, and couldn’t be happier. Where will I go in the future..Not to far from pirating I think, small fleet roaming is where the most fun is in my eyes and the fun is what it’s all about for me. And the rum.

No comments:

Post a Comment