Monday 3 May 2010

0.0 for newbs?

I read a post by letrange to day writen in response to a idiotic article writen by tobold about flying out to null and getting popped by "bullys".

I just felt compelled to share my opinion with the world on null-

First while any pilot can be useful to a null Corp it has been my expirence that unless you can fly a well tanked battle cruiser you won't be able to rat solo therefore are not self sufficiant and will struggle. I know mining is another option but you still need to clear the belts.

Second, while anyone can go anywhere in eve (in theory) the same can be said of people that will try to kill you, if you venture to null you WILL be killed eventually, the best way to minimise the risk is to join a null sec Corp and let them teach you how and WHERE to move through null.

Lastly - if you take no other advice take this, expect to lose the ship and your pod, insure your ship and if posible use a clone without implants and make sure your clone is upto date. Plan for the worst if you survive consider it a bonus.

In other matters I'm settleing in to the Corp now and got some ratting dome today, I made more in one day ratting here than I did in a week in the previous alliance , I do think it will be needed as I expect to use a lot of resourses on pvp ships. I am still getting to grips with all the rules and what is expected of me but it all seems fair and makes sense.
I think I am going to like being a DICK lol and the guys I'm learning from are very good at what they do.
I also had a invite from mansi for a chat next time I see him on which will be good, I have taken to re reading all his posts as they are much more relevent to me and my situation and not just a entertaining read.

Have fun.


4 comments:

  1. I read, and commented on, Letrange's blog; apparently I missed the Tobold reference (he really ought to just quit playing EVE because he's not in it for the EVE -- he's in it for the WOW and it's just not there).

    Anyway, totally agree with you. You can go anywhere, but so can the guys who want to kill you; when you go to where there are no rules, they will kill you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went into null as a relative noob two weeks after my trial ended, what saved me was being in a great Corp. We ratted together and learned together and I had some great teachers. I was hard and I died a lot in the early days, but it never stopped me and I am better for it now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Say what you want about their sense of humor, goons welcome newbies (provided they're Something Awful posters) and provide them with endless free tackle rifters, then tackle stabbers and mallers. You can start an account in the morning, follow their 10 hour hero plan and literally be tackling in a big nulsec fleet battle that night.

    Likewise, when I first started playing Eve, I was with Hellcats and they threw you into piracy right away and taught you how to stay alive and did it really well.

    It's a shame that more alliances don't follow that model. That's something I think about whenever I hear and FC screaming in frustration about not having a target pointed.

    @parity I keep trying with Tobold, but I agree. He's trying desperately to play WoW in space rather than Eve. He may find out he doesn't like Eve, but right now he's not even able to understand what's going on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really comes down to people wishing to use adult behavior amidst other people wishing to use childish behavior.

    It is common for adults to work together. It is also common for young people to group together to hurt others and/or for young people to be destructive for the thrill of hurting others.

    EVE is primarily designed for young people to be able to be destructive and to hurt others. While it is possible to play EVE as an adult in constructive ways, you will always need to deal with the destructive vandals and the gang bangers.

    Complaining about the young people with childish behavior will not accomplish anything other than instigate flame wars. The best you can do is to attempt to avoid the childish behavior and enjoy the game playing it as you wish.

    Typically when I run into a bully who gets his kicks from hurting others, I do my best to avoid him (or his group). If I can't, my ship is blown up and I buy/outfit another. I do not fight back, I do not rant at him/them, I completely ignore them. My time is better spent attempting to enjoy the game and I treat their behavior the same as I would getting a flat tire. I fix the tire and then resume my journey. I don't scream at the tire or kick it. I simply ignore the bad parts and attempt to enjoy the good parts.

    The world (and EVE) will always be full of childish behavior and destructive personalities. That doesn't mean I have to dwell on this and become bitter about it. I just need to make sure I have AAA roadside assistance to get flat tires fixed and attempt to enjoy what the world (and EVE) has to offer me.

    ReplyDelete