Friday 16 April 2010

Shall i get my indy on?

I have been considering setting up a indy account for a while now, I like the idea of a Alt that just mines builds and hauls..no combat. two things are stopping me at the moment, firstly cost , cant get the wife to spring for a second account, and secondly, i really like the idea of using him to mine while im ratting or in fleets, and focus on him while im waiting for fleets to form ect, trouble is my laptop wont handle two eve clients.. yet.

What i am thinking, is after my next holiday ( may 17th-june 23rd its coming and i may go a bit quiet) i will be upgrading my laptop, which will mean i could handle two clients. Also with the money I will make from ratting and mining im hoping to be able to afford a plex each month..

what I'd really like to know is ..am I being realistic? to make the alt I would send myself a 21 day trial and activate it with a plex from my main..so effectively getting 51 days free to build my new charecter and get a headstart, I could throw 100 mill a month at it from my main with out to much hassle so would leave the mining alt with 150-200 mill a month to find..anything on top would be gravy baby!!

But as I dont know much about the indy side of eve at the moment I'd like to know is what im thinking do-able? is 100-200 mill a month achiveable in 51 days doing maybe 8-10 hours of mining a week? I could mine in null but would rather keep him in high sec to "go shopping" for stuff I use in null? also, is it going to be worth my while doing this? I have heard tales from some miners that they can make 100 mill an hour ice mineing, is this a myth or am I just in the wrong ships? If it is posible to make that kinda money I will use it to support my main..hell if I could make just the 300 mill a month to cover the plex it will be worth it for a hauler in hi sec..

any advice please drop me a line. Also I have set up a email account specificly for my eve projects and chatting astraldominix@hotmail.co.uk feel free to mail me or add me if you use msn.

lastly a little shout out to the fan I met lurking in btekpub channel last night, always good to hear people are enjoying the blog, and a thank you to reltso yand of Btek for my new retribution.

have fun!!

9 comments:

  1. I cannot tell you that you will or will not make 200M a month mining 40 hours in highsec. I can tell you that mining, even as afk, is really dull. It's also not that afk really unless you decide to macro or something like that. Every few cycles you either need to drop the ore in a can or self haul it someplace. Regardless you will need to haul it about at some point.

    What I can tell you is that I make ~200M a month sitting on my arse building stuff and selling it. I mine no more than 4 hours a week and only mine target ores for the production runs I plan. I only make T1 mods/ships/ammo and don't haul them to market. Meaning I could increase that number if I spent more time and risk hauling the goods to better markets.
    I by no means am making anywhere near as much as I could be with my indy account. However it’s 95% hands off work at this point and passive steady income.

    Mining almost caused me to COMAQUIT EVE mate!

    I am also lucky that my wife (NO you cannot have her all ready) allows me to pay for 2 accounts.

    Hit me up in game about it some time.

    Cheers

    EVE SOB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with SOB, it isn't really afk mining, that's a myth. But I did exactly that almost 10 months ago and for the first six months I did almost nothing with the account expect let her train and train hard. Now my indy alt supports my PvP main completely with very little effort. Between semi-afk mining and building and selling she's grossed nearly 1.5b this month. Some of that was luck on the market, but still...

    Totally worth it in my opinion, wish I had done it sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1.5B very nice. You into T2 stuff Rixx? That's where my training is taking me next.

    I am happy for now with my few clicks a day production schedule. I'll back Rixx with Skills for industry being the key to the win. My Indy pilots 8M sp are all over the board and I find myself fixing both my accounts and rolling alts for specific sub tasks now.

    Oh the things I would do differently with only 6 months worth of experience. Yet it's been fun testing many waters and long term this will all balance out.

    Cheers

    EVE SOB

    ReplyDelete
  4. And so it starts. Astral Domi, I found myself saying the exact same thing as you about a year and a half ago. I bought a second account for mining. Then I learned, as SOB and others said above, mining is as boring as running L1 missions in a drake - I literally couldn't make myself do it. BUT, I LOVED the possibilities and freedom that a second account brought. Trained mfg and invention skills, with the thinking that it will pay for itself.

    Then a funny thing happened. I decided I really wanted a plexing / scanning alt too. So on that same second account I added another toon and trained probing skills. Then, I had isk coming in, quite a bit, and wanted a capital alt. So, third account. Then, lol, a fourth and a fifth for various other things. I realized you can invent a lot more than you can produce - ie surplus T2 BPCS, so I wanted more alts with maxed mfg skills, just for the slots. My thinking the whole time was 'they will pay for themselves!' - which they can, if I didn't spend the isk on shiney things, capital training books, etc. Still, my income now is quite considerable and I have many alts for many things - and the only regret I have is not figuring this out sooner.

    You will love the second account m8, go for it. And, also, remember, if you change your mind, you can close the account and sell the character on the character for a decent amount of isk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If only we could run three training queues per account. Oh the things I could do with 6 constantly training pilots...

    /me glazes over with the idea!

    Cheers

    EVE SOB

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I had these guys experience - all I know is I don't regret having a second account at all.

    How can you?? Unless you have been around since the beginning and have ten of millions of SP, one toon just won't do it. Even more so if you are trying to be somewhat focused.

    I am currently screwing up my industrialist with some combat skills, but it's not like I have lost much focus. He only has 9.5 million SP with almost 3 in Industry and almost 2 in Science.

    With Nav taking another million, I think another mil in Trade.....and I was originally gonna try this with only one toon. I now see how some have several accounts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I ran into the same problems. I think it takes 30-35 days (may be off) to train up to a hulk right away (which I did). If you rig it you can afk for about 10 mins (I do this with a dual client dual monitor set-up, and dont try it near any low sec systems or during Hulkaggedon). I was able to support my pvp main for months with just mining alone, but it all depends on mineral prices. I never made enough isk to support plexes (too many losses in the pvp realm). A second account is alot of fun, it lets you explore two sides of the game. Unfortunatly my alt is slowly moving away from indy and into a fleet support role, hence no money coming in. But hey its all about fun. If you can't afford the alt with real $$ then I would hold off until you can :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm lucky in that I can often run mining in the background for long-stretches of time, just checking on it every so often. That helps.

    My alt doesn't have the skills for T2 yet, close though. Right now I mostly build high volume cheap ships and expensive low volume high cost ships, the rest like ammo and mods is for Corp consumption.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you're still interested in rolling an alt miner, Eve Uni has a pretty decent skill plan:

    http://www.eve-ivy.com/wiki/index.php?title=Creating_an_Alt_Miner

    ReplyDelete